Keeping Your Puppy Safe

Puppies love to explore the world. They put anything and everything into their mouths. Here are some tips to puppy proof your home and keep your curious buddy safe!

IMG_8256

Bentley was down with diarrhea but looking bright as a lark. His family suspected he ate something from the garden.

KEEP SAFE INDOORS

  • Keep all medications, including dog supplements, in an area your pup cannot reach.
  • Learn to identify toxic plants and replace them with non toxic ones.
  • Keep cleaning detergents in cupboards.
  • Electrical cords are potentially dangerous for pups who love to chew. Keep the cords out of reach or run them through cord covers.
  • Dogs have been brought to the vets after swallowing objects like coins, jewellery, clips, rubber bands. Keep these items out of pup’s reach. Do not leave anything on the floor you don’t want your pup to chew on.
  • If you have a cat, make sure your pup cannot access the cat’s litter box.
  • Puppy proof your garbage bin and keep all human food out of pup’s reach. These human food can be harmful to dogs: chocolate, coffee, tea, onions, grapes, raisins, avocado, alcohol, chicken bones.

KEEP SAFE OUTDOORS

  • Always supervise your pup in the garden.
  • Again, make sure you do not have toxic plants.
  • Keep all food and garbage in secure containers.
  • Keep fertilisers, detergents, insecticides, paint and oil out of pup’s reach.
  • Check your garden for any hazardous objects like glass, nails, plastic pieces.

In the unfortunate event that your pet swallows a foreign object or toxic food, take him to the vet immediately.

For after hours emergency, take your pet to Mount Pleasant After Hours & Emergency Clinic at 232 Whitley Road S297824. Telephone 6250 8333.